Construct 3 is a powerful no-code 2D game engine that offers users the capability to build dynamic, engaging games without the need for traditional coding. Marketed as the best 2D game engine, it’s designed to turn the vision of your dream game into reality with an array of tools and features.
- No Programming Required: Construct 3 boasts an effortless game building experience. It’s meticulously designed to simplify game rules creation without the need for traditional coding.
- Use Anywhere and Anytime: Browser-based, Construct 3 can be accessed across devices, from mobiles to desktops and Raspberry Pi’s. It operates seamlessly offline and doesn’t require any installation. Furthermore, the platform ensures users always have the latest features with its auto-update functionality.
- Power and Performance: Construct 3’s engine offers exceptional performance and can run vast, resource-intensive games with efficiency. This power can be further augmented using third-party addons.
- Wide Publishing Options: Game creators can publish their games to various platforms, from mobile operating systems like iOS and Android to desktop apps for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and even gaming platforms like Steam, Newgrounds, and Itch.io.
- 3D Elements: While primarily a 2D engine, Construct 3 provides tools to introduce 3D elements in your games. From adjusting the Z elevation to integrating 3D shapes, there are many ways to enhance the game’s visual appeal.
- Comprehensive Data and Networking Tools: With Construct 3, developers can easily handle various data formats like JSON and XML. The built-in networking tools, such as AJAX, WebSockets, and multiplayer game frameworks based on WebRTC DataChannels, further empower developers to create connected and online experiences for their games.
- Game Development: Ideal for aspiring game developers looking to build and publish their own games across platforms.
- Educational Tools: A perfect tool for educators to create engaging, interactive educational games to facilitate learning.
- Prototyping: For professional game developers, the platform provides a quick way to prototype game ideas.
Pros and Cons
- Allows developers to quickly preview their games with a simple click or share instantly with others using a link or QR code.
- From timeline animations to segmented animations using the scene graph, developers have a suite of tools to create intricate animations.
- From a built-in image editor, physics engine, intelligent pathfinding, networking, to multimedia support, Construct 3 comes packed with tools to cater to various game development needs.
- Being browser-based, it may have limitations compared to a fully-fledged desktop application.
Construct 3 offers users a free trial, giving potential customers a chance to explore the platform before making a purchase. The best part is that you don’t need to provide an email address or go through any registration process to access this trial.
Construct offers two pricing plans for its Construct 3 game engine: Personal and Business.
- The Personal plan is for individuals and hobbyists. It costs $129.99 USD when paid annually. This plan includes all features unlocked, and hundreds of demo projects.
- The Business plan is for commercial organizations and costs $469 USD per seat annually. If your business has less than $50,000 USD revenue, less than $100,000 USD assets, and less or equal to 3 employees, you may qualify for the Startup Business pricing. This plan includes all features unlocked, hundreds of demo projects, easy seat management, and the ability to add or remove seats at any time.
You can check out their pricing page for more information about each plan to make the best decision for your business.
Construct 3 offers a seamless user experience, with its browser-based approach eliminating installation hassles. The combination of drag-and-drop tools with an optional coding editor ensures that developers of all skill levels find the platform intuitive.
These are the minimum system requirements for Construct to run:
- Offline Use: While Construct can operate offline, an internet connection is essential when loading Construct for the first time. Once you notice a notification indicating its readiness for offline work, you can utilize Construct without the Internet.
- Subscription Re-validation: If you opt for a subscription, you’ll need to start Construct online at least once every week (7 days) to confirm your subscription. Without a subscription, offline usage of Construct is perpetual.
- Google Chrome: Version 67 and newer
- Chromium-Based Browsers: Examples include Opera and Yandex, but they should be updated to Chromium 67 or newer.
- Firefox: Version 102 and beyond
- Safari: 14.1 and newer
- Microsoft Edge: Supported from version 79+. It’s important to note that while the modern Chromium-based Edge is supported, the legacy version isn’t.
- Not Supported: Internet Explorer isn’t compatible with Construct 3, especially since its retirement by Microsoft in June 2022. For Windows 10 users, the Edge browser, which starts its support from version 79+, is the recommended replacement.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows: Version 10, 11, or newer
- Mac: OS X / macOS 10.13 or more recent
- Linux: 64-bit versions such as Ubuntu 18.04+, Debian 10+, openSUSE 15.2+, or Fedora Linux 32+
- Chrome OS: Any device with Chrome OS updated to v67 or newer
- Android: Devices with Android 7.0 or newer, possessing at least 1GB RAM
- iOS: Devices with iOS 14.1 or higher
- Note on Older OS: Some browsers might still be operational on older operating systems, like Windows 7. However, these aren’t officially endorsed, and users might encounter restricted features.
Construct necessitates browser support for WebGL, a contemporary high-efficiency graphics technology tailored for browsers. The vast majority of modern devices are equipped with WebGL support. If you come across a message about the absence of WebGL support, ensure to check for any system updates and verify that your graphics drivers are current.
Community and Learning Resources
- Documentation: A comprehensive manual covers all features in-depth.
- Tutorials: Thousands of written and video tutorials to assist beginners and experts alike.
- Active Community: A moderated, friendly, and helpful community of Construct 3 users ready to assist and share experiences.